Re: splitting up the debian-user mailing list

On Fri, 1 Aug 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> It's getting kind of loud here. I've been thinking of splitting the
> debian-user list into several lists:

   I know what you mean.  Just this week I turned off a couple of other
general Linux lists I was subscribed to simply because I was dealing with
too much mail.

> 	debian-user: user discussion
> 	debian-install: installation problems
> 	debian-novice: newbies are intimidated by other lists, so here's
>   	 one of their own.

   Other than my worry that debian-novice would turn into a wasteland which
experienced users avoided, that seems reasonable.

   But you might give some thought to killing or renaming debian-user.  What
if you create the other two lists and no one uses them and everyone just
stays on debian-user?

   Perhaps a more topic oriented approach (he says mindlessly throwing out
ideas) might  be better, e.g. debian-mail, debian-news, debian-networking,
debian-install, debian-x, and debian-novice?

 Regards,                 | Debian GNU/ __      o
 (redwards@together.net)  |      ...because lockups are for convicts...