Re: bug or feature?

On 3 Aug 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
>
> : That said, there are many cases where more than 8 chars would be desirable.
> : IIRC, using PAM (http://parc.power.net/morgan/Linux-PAM/) would free us from
> : this limit. AFAIK we have the basis for PAM, but no applications are
> : PAM-aware yet.
>
> I don't know anything about PAM yet but I think Samba is PAM-aware.

Just to get in a point about pam, I've been talking to a person here at
NRL who is involved with linux, and networking security in general, and he
feels PAM is flawed in some serious ways.  He feels that a PAM based
system can open your system to many different types of attacks which
aren't "normal" now.  That's not to say he doesn't like the "idea" of PAM.
He thinks the idea is good, except that PAM's implementation is bad.

Now, I don't know much about it, but I have a lot of respect for the
persons opinion.

Shaya