RE: Netscape beta install package gone... Re: Comunicator 4.02b7

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Travis Cole wrote:

> On 03-Aug-97 Dave Cinege wrote:

> >>   It's only on some ftp servers.  I found it on ftp25; others gave me the
> >>same empty directory as what you found.
> >
> >I was able to grab it....over 9mb!!!
> >
> >What happened to the netscape beta install package? I went to install it,
> >and even ftp.debian.org doesn't have it in contrib.
> >
> >Is it being updated for b7, or did it just vanish? Damn, I'm getting so
> >spoiled by Debian I don't even want to run an install script  : P
> >Been a LONG time since I compiled anything beside kernels....

> >Elite MicroComputers   908-541-4214      http://www.psychosis.com/emc/
> >

> Don't worry about the install script.  I alwasy install Netscape with it
> because I don't want to wait for the debian install package.
>
> The install script for b7 is pretty good.  It asks you where you wan't to put
> it.  I use the default, /usr/local/netscape.  Then it goes and installs.  It
> you have an older version sitting there it keeps all the old stuff intact and
> just renames them, I guess this would be good if for some reason the new
> version doesn't work and you wan't to go back to the old one without
> reinstalling it.
>
> But I didn't want to waste the disk space so I just deleted to old one, ran the
> install script and all it good.  I also made a soft link in /usr/local/bin to
> the netscape executable in /usr/local/netscape.  Now I I wan't to uninstall it
> is about 3 commands harder than if I had installed the DEB.  cd to /usr/local
> and then rm -r netscape then cd to /usr/local/bin and rm netscape and I am
> done, besides the .netscape files in user directorys.
>
> But I think you can trust it.  And the deb doen't make it much easier.

The wrapper script that the .deb installs sets up the correct variables so
that you don't have a problem and don't have to edit your .bashrc or
similar file.  It also prevents netscape from being run as root, which
depending on your opinion (but should be) is a good thing.

Shaya