Re: Debian-Lite : The Project

Hello ppl,

I have been (quitely) reading the Debian project thread and I was
wondering whether the following is possible.

Why do we have to limit ourselves to debian-lite or any such subset of
Debian?

Is it not possible to have some sort of pre-packaged configuration files,
that you load with dselect for example and installs all the components as
specified in that package configuration?  Like this we could have Debian
for begginers, for programmers, for game programmers, for students, for
home users, for.... you name it.  Everyone could contribute packaging
configuration (including customized ones) and dselect (or a new tool if
dselect is not suitable) would just ensure all those packages within the
package configuration "work together" (dependencies etc).  Some standard
package configurations would be available and "tested and supported" by
Debian... others contributed.

Also users can "backup" a certain working state of their sytems into a
packaging configuration file wich could then be used to reinstall (add,
delete, etc) to that particular configuration.

In this way you only have to choose a certain "overall" system (e.g single
home user) and the utility (e.g dselect or whatever) does the rest
(getting the individual packages pertaining to that packaging
configuration)!  Of course you can add/substract and have all the current
power of customization of Debian if you so desire...

Your comments :-)

Regards,

David