Re: Debian-Lite : The Project

On Aug 02, wb2oyc@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> On 15:18:49 "Robert D. Hilliard" wrote:
> >
> >     I think this should be the main object of a smaller version of
> >debian (Please not Debian Lite!).  A normal debian installation loads
> >up a single user machine with a lot of unneeded and unwanted server and
> >network administration stuff.
> >
> >Bob
> >
> Man, do I like this idea!  I really like Linux, and all it offers, and I really
> appreciate Debian, but just yesterday I was saying to myself, I wish that
> someone with the skills would put together a Linux better suited to the
> single user environment where many (most?) of us use our home systems.
> Free from all the hassles of permissions, root privelege to do this or that,
> etc!  Right on!  For a user like myself anyway, it sure makes a helluva lot
> more sense than all the multi-user protections/permissions and such.  I
> for one, get really frustrated with such things, and it really ticks me off that
> if I ftp a file then I can't move it to some directory before I unzip it or thin
> gs
> like that.  Everyone says don't run as root and use 'su' but damnit, some
> of this is nuts when the machine is really only an individual's workstation,
> or at least I think it gets in the way, and probably frustrates the hell out of
> a lot of people that finally give it up!
>
> Paul

Paul,

please consider, that one reason that there are no such things as "virusses"
in linux is, that a virus would kill only the files it is privilegded to. So
if every program (even the untrusted ones) would run with root privileges,
you would have more than the minor hassles, that you have now.

A virus run with user permissions would kill only the users home directory.
A virus run with root permissions would kill your harddisk.

Another point of view:
A small typo in a news cron script running as "user news" could kill unread news.
A small typo in a news cron script running as "user root" could kill
everything on the harddisk.

Please reconsider your opinion. Is it really so annoying to have root logged
in somewhere on tty5, and to switch to it via Alt+F5?

Thank you, Marcus

--
"Rhubarb is no Egyptian god."
Marcus Brinkmann