Sendmail probs

Hello,

    having not much knowledge and even less experience in running and
    configuring sendmail I'm asking on this list for help, probably a more
    experienced sendmail guru can help:

    I run the debian postinst configuration script and sendmailconfig twice
    and it still gives me the following warning at the end:

      Winona:2# sendmailconfig
      Configure sendmail with the existing /etc/mail/sendmail.mc? [Y] y
      Generating /etc/mail/sendmail.cf from /etc/mail/sendmail.mc ...
      Updating alias database ...
      WARNING: local host name (Winona) is not qualified; fix $j in config file
      Reload the running sendmail now with the new configuration? [Y]
      Reloading sendmail ...

    How do I fix $j ? What is this? My hostname is qualified. hostname and
    domainname find the correct values (the machine should be
    Winona.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE).

    In the log file sendmail writes the following
      Aug  3 22:39:44 Winona sendmail[883]: starting daemon (8.8.5): SMTP+queueing@00:30:00
      Aug  3 22:40:18 Winona sendmail[882]: unable to qualify my own domain name (Winona) -- using short name

    Is there missing something (domainname returns
    Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)?

    My sendmail.mc file contains (comments stripped):
      divert(-1)
      divert(0)
      VERSIONID(`@(#)sendmail.mc	8.7 (Linux) 3/5/96')
      OSTYPE(debian)dnl
      FEATURE(nullclient, diamant.Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)dnl
      FEATURE(nocanonify)dnl
      MASQUERADE_AS(Informatik.Uni-Oldenburg.DE)dnl

      ## Custom configurations below (will be preserved)

    The MASQUERADE_AS will change the from header to my ISP's (university)
    mail address, which is what I want. Sendmail reports this feature
    correctly in the logs. diamant is out smtp server.

    So my questions/ problems are the following:

    1) Sending mail to my hostname (Winona) is sent to my ISP, which is
       obviously wrong. But sending to user@localhost works.

    2) Can I use the MASQUERADE_AS option to change the user name for my
       university account as well?

    3) Sendmail and mailq takes over 1 minute time to give the output. strace
       shows that it gets stuck in a pause-systemcall after setting a
       timer to 60 secs. Is this a technical (not the configuration)
       problem? I installed the 8.8.5-1 package version of the debian
       1.2.x series.

Peter Weiss, Sonnenstraße 17, D-26123 Oldenburg, Tel:  0441/ 81058
http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de:/~weissp