Re: Loading Software

On Aug 03, PATRICK DAHIROC wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a gzip tar copy of The Dotfile Generator that came on a dos
> formated floppy.  I tried to load this through dselect but as I scrolled
> down the list of programs I could not find the dotfile program.  Could
> someone send me instuction on how to install it.
>
> Thanks
> Patrick

Hi Patrick!

Dselect is only for *.deb files, and even then you need a package.gz file
with the descriptions of the package (for own .deb files you need a program
called scanpackages or so).

You have a file *.tar.gz, this is a different format. I don't think we have
a debian package with the dotfile generator, but don't give up. Here is how
to go:

Check if you have a directory /usr/local/src, if not, do (with root)
# mkdir /usr/local/src

Then go there with
# cd /usr/local/src

copy your dotfile.tar.gz in this directory. Do you have it on the hard disk?
# cp /whereever/dotfile.tar.gz .
or on your msdos floppy?
# mcopy a:dotfile.whatever . (you need mtools installed for this)

Then you do a
# tar -tzf dotfile.tar.gz

and check the contents (it scrolls on the terminal)
to unpack, do a
# tar -xzf dotfile.tar.gz
then the files will be extracted out of the archive.

But check the path of the files in the tar-archive!
If they have no path, make a proper directory under /usr/local/src,
before you unpack.

If you have further questions, mail.

Good luck,
Marcus