Re: bug or feature?

Bjoern wrote:

> for example my password on my system is: test1
> the user names are: delete and (of course) root
>
> Why is it possible to login as 'delete' and as 'root'
> when i type instead of 'test1' as password, 'test1dfetdf' (for
> example).
>
> Or more exactly: Why is it possible to type the right password an then
> add as much letters and numbers i want to it?
>
> I am using a debian 1.2.6. Login made on all tyy's. 'su -' act's the
> same.

Previous replies stated that only the first 8 characters are
significant.  However Bjoern's test password `test1' is only 5
characters long.  I think his question still stands.

Furthermore I always wondered why there is a limitation of 8 characters.
Wouldn't it be a lot harder to crack passwords if only they were
allowed to be a little longer?

Eric Meijer

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032