pcmcia support for 3Com Etherlink III broken :-(

Howdy,

I'm trying to install Debian on a Compaq Armada 1550T with a
3Com Etherlink III PCMCIA Ethernet adaptor.  I installed everything
from the Infomagic CD-ROM (I know, I'm stupid :-) and tried compiling
pcmcia support from pcmcia-source_2.9.5-3.deb which I found on the
web.  Unfortunately when I reboot Linux recognises my Ethernet card as
an "Anonymous Memory Card" :-(.  I even tried installing everything from
a local mirror-site but that gave the same effect.  Everything used to
work however since I installed a number of notebooks just a few months
ago.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Nico.

ps: the 3Com Etherlink III is a 3C589D or 3C589C (tried with both=> same results)

Nico De Ranter
Sony Objective Composer (SOCOM)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 17 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com