Re: 56k baud modem (x2)

On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Daniel Stringfield wrote:

> Also, I remember bringing up the fact that its illegal (in the US) to run
> at speeds
> over 46k (or similar) over the analog lines... so legally, you can't go
> that fast.
> I'm assuming that this is going to be overturned shortly, since several
> companies
> are coming up with 56k technology.

Actually, the FCC regs say nothing about *how fast* traffic can go.  They
only say how much voltage you can send up the line.

Anyhow, USR's inferior implementation of "56k" was sending so much voltage
up the line, they had to cut it to 53k.  Lucent/Rockwell hasn't shown this
problem.  In fact, whereas USR shows 53k downlink/33.6k uplink, Lucent is
doing 61k downlink/47k uplink, and is within the voltage spec.

Jason Costomiris                 | Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key
jcostom@sjis.com                 | "There is a fine line between idiocy
My employers like me, but not	 | and genius.  We aim to erase that line"
enough to let me speak for them. |			--Unknown

	        	http://www.jasons.org/~jcostom