Re: Documentation - I see squares

Raja R Harinath <harinath@cs.umn.edu> writes:

> John Foster <johnf@mars.nettrek.net.au> writes:

[snip]

> You're reading an ISO-8859-1 (8-bit) document with `less' in it's 7-bit
> mode.

[snip]

> In either case, your display has to support 8-bit characters, and show
> them meaningfully.  `xterm' can handle it.  I haven't checked the
> console (I'm sitting on a Solaris box right now)

In my experience it doesn't always do a wonderful job, since it
doesn't have all the characters needed (which might be the original
problem, actually).  This can be fixed by doing something like:

$ setfont -u lat1.uni lat1-16.psf

--
                Carey Evans  <*>  c.evans@clear.net.nz

"Linux and Linux-like systems such as UNIX(R) and FreeBSD..."
    - Yggdrasil Computing, <pgpmoose.199702180607.14425@liw.clinet.fi>