Re: Documentation - I see squares

John Foster <johnf@mars.nettrek.net.au> writes:
>>> In a lot of man pages, and some of the documentation in /usr/doc
>>> there are there little squares or cryptic <$%^> thingees. I guess
>>> that there's something I've missed somewhere...
>>>
>>> What have/haven't I done?
>>
>> On the assumption that you ran into some highlighting or underlining
>> markup, then you might try running your documents through a smart
>> pager that's able to do something reasonable with such things.
>> Try this:
>>     export MANPAGER=/usr/bin/less
[snip]

> I don't think that's the problem, less is my PAGER, and I know about zcat.
> Most of the text is quite readable. The little squares are often where I'd
> expect an apostrophe to be, and some of the funny codes are <B7> for
> example. It looks like a bit of hex.

You're reading an ISO-8859-1 (8-bit) document with `less' in it's 7-bit
mode.

You can do one of two things --

1. $ export LC_CTYPE=iso_8859_1
   $ less <filename>

2. $ less -r <filename>

The first is the preferred solution, but requires you to have set up all
the locale data correctly.

The second just punts the 8-bit char to your display.

In either case, your display has to support 8-bit characters, and show
them meaningfully.  `xterm' can handle it.  I haven't checked the
console (I'm sitting on a Solaris box right now)

- Hari