Re: Changing kernel.

Mikael Hallendal <micke@cel95mhl.campus.mdh.se> writes:

> I'm about to compile a new kernel. Do I have to take the .deb kernel or
> can I download the latest from sunsite.unc.edu?

If you install Manoj Srivastava's excellent 'kernel-package' package,
you can unpack the linux kernel sources, do your normal configuration
(I do 'make xconfig') and then run '/usr/sbin/make-kpkg binary'.

Install the resulting customised Debian kernel package using 'dpkg -i
../kernel-binary_version_blah.deb'.

Beware that some Debian packages expect the kernel to be compiled with
module versions turn on.

Hope that helps,

Kenny.