Re: xt?

On Fri, 7 Mar 1997, marsh wrote:

> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think AT&T System V ever ran
> on 286s.  Xenix, Minix, and Coherent are the main derivatives I can think
> of that ran on 286s.
>
> - Marsh

i Marsh, Hi folks

Yes, System V did indeed run on 286s.

I ran Microport's System V-AT, a derivative of System V.2, on my 286
machine (8 MHz, 2.5 MB RAM, 40 MB disk) from 86-90. It was System V.2,
with a few drivers from Microport.  My machine was a PC's Limited 286
(later Dell...)  Xenix and Venix were both licensed from AT&T later USL,
because Unix was a strongly protected trademark. I think a company
called Interactive did the ports to the 286 and 386 architectures.

There were several folk who sold 'real' Unix for 286 in those days.
AT&T ran a version of System V.2 on their 6300 Plus, which was a 286
machine.

David
           LINUX: the FREE 32 bit OS for [345]86 PC's available NOW!
David B Teague | User interface copyrights & software patents make
teague@wcu.edu | programing a dangerous business. Ask me or lpf@lpf.org

spy counter-intelligence wild porno sex gold bullion Soviet Bosnia clipper