Connection closing on telnet/ftp

As I said before I have up graded my system but not can not telnet into
it from on the machine and off the machine.  When I do telnet is
gives you the normal telent hello :

bash# telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

but then says

Connection closed by foreign host.

I have checked both /etc/hosts.allow and hosts.deny and made them both empty.

When I look in /var/log/daemon.log I see :

Mar  6 02:14:37 rn120006 tcpd[615]: connect from unknown
Mar  6 02:14:37 rn120006 tcpd[615]: warning: can't get client address: Socket op
eration on non-socket

It's this that I don't understand.  Can anybody explain or give insight.

Jason Killen                            Question Stupidity
Monolith : driven by inner daemons      RPS : better living through world
jkillen@tinuviel.cs.wcu.edu                domination