Re: Serial ports/Speak Freely/Video/Installation Dependencies...

 Mark> Hi all,
 Mark>
 Mark> I just joined the mailing list since I just upgraded my 2 year
 Mark> old Slackware installation to Debian 1.2.7 from ftp.debian.org.
 Mark>
 Mark> All in all, I'd have to say I'm pleased but there are a few
 Mark> nagging questions.
 Mark>
 Mark> getty processed on ttyS1 block modem access to cua1. When a
 Mark> getty is running (getty, agetty, uugetty or mgetty) and I try
 Mark> to run kermit (or minicom or statserial) I get a can't open
 Mark> device error. Why? They didn't used to. Is this a new kernel
 Mark> feature?

I am not sure about this, but AFAIK Debian kernel that comes with
the boot floppy doesn't have serial support compiled into the
kernel, so you'll have to recompile your kernel to recognize serial
devices.

borik

Boris D. Beletsky                          borik@debian.org
Network Administrator                   borik@cs.huji.ac.il
Institute of Computer Science,          borik@isracom.co.il
Hebrew University Jerusalem            home: +972 2 6411880