Re: Running files

> 	how can I run a file that is not a command file?  Like I have a
> file called startup, how do I run it?

What sort of file is it?  If you know that it's an executable file, you
probably need to set the execute bit on the file.  You can do with
"chmod u+x <filename>".  Check out the man page for chmod for more info.
If "startup" is a script of commands you want to run, make sure you
have the line "#!/bin/sh" at the top of the script.

> And where can I find minicom, or
> any of the other comm programs?
Take a look at the directory structure on the ftp sites.  There is
a "debian/stable" and a "debian/unstable".  Pick the one you want
to use (probably stable).  Under this, there is a binary-<architecture>
directory.  If you have a PC, you'll want binary-i386.  Then there
are a bunch of directories based on section.  For instance, all the
comm programs are in debian/stable/binary-i386/comm.

> And where can I get pico, the text editor?
Check out debian/non-free/binary/pico_3.95L-7.deb on an ftp mirror,
such as aij.st.hmc.edu (not to plug my own mirror, or anything...).
This isn't in the stable or unstable trees probably because it's not
under the GPL -- the GNU Public License.
--
				- John Larkin
				- jlarkin@hmc.edu