lastlog is looking strange

i'm not sure when it started, but one of my debian 1.3 system has lines
like:

{*******              ****'y*3         Tue Mar  4 11:33 - 16:37  (05:04)

in the output of the 'last' command.  three other 1.3 systems and
another 1.2 system i use are not having this problem.  the only major
between this one system and the other 4 is that it's a 486 and it dials
in to the internet... the others are 586s and are connected via ethernet.
I wouldn't expect those differences to cause anything like this.

so am i the only one getting this?

Unix System Administrator -- Access Internet Communications
     for PGP key send mail with subject "send pgp key"