Successful step from stable to unstable

Thanks to Rob and Victorio for their advise about upgrading from stable to
unstable. I first downloaded dpkg 1.4.8 and installed it by hand. After that I
launched dselect and upgraded succesfully.

I watched the upgrade process closely and here are the notes I made during the
procedure.

Once I was in dselect I put several packages on hold, including bash2, emacs,
xbase and various other big packages. In the first run I installed at least 46
new or updated packages without any problems. After that I went on and
installed the rest of the packages on hold.

The only thing that produced notable warnings was ldconfig which gave errors
like "can't open /usr/lib/libdb.so skipping". After the install libdb.so was
properly installed though and there were no dangling symlinks.

The hold feature in dselect is very useful. It simplifies the installation
since you can do it in many rounds with only a few packages in each round.

Keep up the good work guys!

Heikki, the happy Debian user.
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland