Re: xt?

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Greg Vence wrote:

> David Stein wrote:
> > Can debian Linux run on an xt? If not is there another linux that can run on an
> > xt? a http: link in the right direction would be appreciated.

There was once a project of porting Linux to XT.  There is also a free
Unix clone called Minix (http://www.cs.vu.nl/~ast/minix.html), which
runs on XTs; maybe you should try it.

> The minimum Linux requirement is a 386.  If you have some kind of
> upgrade chip/package to allow the XT to use a 386, then yes.  Else, no.
>
> I believe one reason is its a 32-bit "PROTECTED" mode OS.  I don't
> believe that the 286 chip has that feature available.

You're right.  I believe :)

Vadik.

--
Vadim Vygonets   vadik@cs.huji.ac.il   Sysadmin? Me?! Naah...
I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a binary tree.