Was: AWE32 problems. Now jubilation!

On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, Richard Morin wrote:

> > > Does anyone know if it is possible for a pnp sound card to configure
> > > without that package, on previous versions of debian?
> >
> > >  Funny thing is with deb 1.1 I was able to
> > > config my kernel for sound no problem.
> >
> > Even for your PnP board. It sounds strange for me that Debian 1.1 could manage
> > PnP boards and 1.2 could not.
> >

> Turns out I found out why my board was able to work and I have it "sorta"
> working again.  My bios has support for pnp and initiates the card before
> boot.  I remember something about disabling pnp in the bios, is it wrong
> to let it config this way?
>
> M/B is a Gigabyte GA586ATE, with Award bios, if anyone is curious.
>
> I can play CD's now, but when I try to use /dev/audio via "saytime" it
> fails, I saw something in the docs, I'll have to dig it out again.
>

> Rich M
> qnc496@durhamnews.net

Hate to keep following up my own posts, but I feel so damn good I must
share my hapiness.
Yaaaaaaaaa! I've got diald up and running, and all my kernel woes are
behind me. (Screw pon, I still didn't get it to work) It took a bit, ok a
lot of reading, but I finally got things
fixed up.  I had to remove the modules package, re-compile my kernel a
few times, (got bitten by a bad floppy) and then re-write the
stock connect script that comes with diald, but it works and I couldn't
be happier that I did it myself...:-) Little bit of tuning to do yet, but
that is the fun stuff, for me anyways.

For my pnp sound card, I got the config it uses in win95, then made sure
that those options were in my .config file in /usr/src/linux....before I
did my make dep, make clean, make zdisk, make modules, make
modules_install.  Reboot and lo and bohold my /dev/audio works now.  I can
play squake to alleviate my frustrations now...
Have to read more about the Debian way to do kernels when I have more
time.  For now, this works great.

Thanks for being patient with me folks...

Rich M
qnc496@durhamnews.net