Re: Problems with FVWM-2

    Brian> I upgraded to fvwm2 today and ran into a few problems.
    Brian> Some of these may be worthy of bug reports, but I thought
	[...]
    Brian>  - The FvwmPager does not have the correct aspect ration.
    Brian> Each of the virtual screens is a long and narrow rectangle
    Brian> instead of a square.  The horizontal scale seems to be
    Brian> about 3/4 of what it was under fvwm1.  I have no reference
    Brian> to compare the vertical scale.

 I've added a ~/.fvwm2/FvwmPager.hook to my configurations; it gets
Read from the ~/.fvwm2/Post.hook; maybe it could go in a better place,
but for now it works fine.  Rows and Columns mattered, I found.  I had
it set to 4 rows and 4 desktops, with DesktopSize at 2 3, then
switched to DesktopSize 2 10, and it squished them all into the top
quarter of the pager.  Setting it to 1 row fixed it.  (reminds me of
HTML tables or Tk pack.)

 It looks like this:

*FvwmPagerGeometry =190x665-0+0
DesktopSize 2 10
*FvwmPagerRows 1
*FvwmPagerColumns 1
*FvwmPagerFont none
*FvwmPagerSmallFont 5x7
*FvwmPagerLabel 0 BitterSweet
*FvwmPagerDeskColor 0 Linen
Style "FvwmPager" Sticky,NoHandles,NoTitle,BorderWidth 3,WindowListSkip
Module FvwmPager 0 0
EdgeScroll 10 10
EdgeResistance 0 150

 There is enough room left to run xconsole at the bottom of my screen,
(1024x768), with:

XConsole*background: grey80
XConsole*foreground: darkblue
XConsole*geometry: =934x100-0-0

 ...in my ~/.Xresources file.  The fvwm2 init function runs 'xv -root
-quit background.jpeg' to set a background, which is a .jpeg
horizontal strip, a greyish white with a darker band (~grey80) on the
left edge, where my default iconbox is.

 I've got the TkDesk appbar at the top of my screen, with all of it's
icons landing sticky right underneath it.  Netscape icons line up by
the pager, and XEmacs live-icon's go just above the Xconsole window
toward the bottom of my screen.

 TkMan's icon is sticky too... it follows me around wherever I go.  I
made the 'books' button on TkDesk's appbar do a tkman remote of
[selection get], so I can highlight anything and get it's manual that
way.  I need to read more of them; and am looking forward to it.

 The 'tclhelp' is how I found how to do that.  It took only a few
minutes to find out how. I had a good time learning what I know about
configuring the X server; there is a lot more to know too, I'm certain.

 The manual says that M4 can be used to make a configuration file that
changes depending on the resolution of the screen. I guess that's what
an installed default should do.

 I plan to read the m4 manual at some point; I am learning perl now,
and will try and look into what it would take to make a configuration
program...  It's a long way off though.  I've a pile of books next to
me.  (I'm not volunteering to do the WM config for Debian; I'm not
ready to try that sort of thing yet.)

Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg
Debian GNU 1.2  Linux 2.0.29t