Re: Problems booting with new kernel

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Karl Sackett wrote:
>
> > I've been trying to upgrade my kernel using kernel-source-2.0.27.  I
> > put the new kernel on a floppy, boot from the floppy, and instead of

> > 8000
> > AX: 02FF
> > BX: 0000
> > CX: 000B
> > DX: 0000
> >
> This is usually an indication of a damaged floppy. Try a new one, or at
> least one that passes some kind of disk test. (like Norton)
Not necessarily. It could mean that the new kernel has been compiled with
a device driver that Linux doesn't like. My guess would be a pnp sound
card. If this is the case, the pnp card might have to be initialized with
WIndows before rebooting and loading in Linux.

Will

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 22:57:42 +0100
From: Sven Rudolph <sr1@os.inf.tu-dresden.de>
To: debian-devel@lists.debian.org
Subject: needing new kernel-image maintainer

Currently I'm the maintainer of kernel-image. I got it from Bruce when
I started working on boot-floppies, but I don't have enough time to do
both (neyond a lot of other things).

Tasks involve:
- building the regular packages kernel-image, kernel-source etc.
- enhance the packaging procedure
- integrate well-tested patches
- create special kernels
- help people who blame the kernel for their problems
- some cooperation with the boot-floppies maintainers (currently Dale
  Scheetz and me)

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/