Re: Writing to a boot floppy.

If you mount the boot floppy that you created when you installed your
system (-t msdos) you will see that it contains various files. The file
named linux on the floppy is the kernel image file. When you rebuild your
kernel, you will find the new image file in linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage,
if you build zImage. You only need to copy this image to the linux file on
the floppy and your floppy will boot the new kernel.

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Bubonic wrote:

> I recompiled my kernel today (without any major problems) to 2.027,
> however, I can't seem to figure out how to create a new boot floppy.  I have
> tried:  cp vmlinux /dev/fd0 to a DOS-formatted disk, but when I tried to reboot
> my computer, it didn't work.
>
> I assume that I am missing or forgetting something, but the books that I have
> and the FAQS and HOWTO's I have read have very little information on this.
> They tend to deal more with LILO, as opposed to booting off of a floppy.
>
> I may not be even understanding the purpose of the boot floppy correctly,
> as I am somewhat of a newbie to LINUX, do I need to alter my boot floopy
> when I recompile the kernel? or change the kernel for that matter?
>
> Thanks a lot,

> bubonic@bsu-cs.bsu.edu
>

> --

Dwarf