POP server sometimes doesn't respond

One little annoyance I have with my debian box is that usually once or
twice a day and just about every morning, I have a message from MS Exchange
(a poor excuse for a mail program) that says it could not contact the mail
server.

Anyone else seeing this or any ideas?

I was thinking about running the pop server outside of inetd since its
pretty small and it gets hit about once every 3 minutes on average anyway.
It looks like I'd have to compile my own; in.pop3d seems to be inetd
specific. Is this true? Any pitfalls to running a standalone pop daemon I'm
not thinking about.

Thanks,

Al Youngwerth
alberty@apexxtech.com