Re: New user: Trying to get xserver running.

Have you tried creating your XF86Config file with the new XF86Setup program?
XF86Setup is a graphical tool for creating the XF86Config file. It comes with
the xserver-vga16 package.

Here's an excerpt from the xserver-vga16 package's description:

  This package also contains the 'XF86Setup' program, a graphical tool for
  configuring X servers. If you want to use this tool to set up your X server
  then you must install this package. If you do not, you will have to use the
  text-based 'xf86config' program.

I used XF86Setup to create the config file for my Matrox card when I installed
Debian.

I hope this helps,

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland