New user: Trying to get xserver running.

Hello all:

I have a small problem. I have debian 1.1 (waiting for 2.1) and I'm trying to get
x windows up and running. My hardware is

* dual cpu, pentium pro 200, PCI only
* 64 meg ram
* 3com Vortex (work good)
* PS/2 mouse
* ATI Mach 64, when I run SuperProbe I get:

Chipset: ATI 88800GX
Memory:  2048 Kbytes
RAMDAC:  Sierra SC1148{2,3,4} 15-bit or SC1148{5,7,9} 15/16-bit HiColor
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
Attached graphics coprocessor:
                Chipset: ATI Mach64
Memory:  2048 Kbytes

When I install via dselect, and run the test, the test look ok. The mouse works, I see
the background as I expect and the X -probeonly report all the clocks.

When I report my system, on the screen where is should see the GUI login prompt I get
vertical lines, block graphics, and a couple of colors. In a nutshell, garbage.

I've manually fiddled with the XF86Config and got no success, I've read all the READMEs.

I am stumped, I've been working at this for about a week now.

Oh yea, one last thing, I seem to have a version problem between libc and libc-dev ????

Please help!!!!!!  :(