ld-linux.so refuses to link the libraries I need...

I've put some libraries in /usr/local/mydir, and made symlinks to
/usr/local/lib. However, ld-linux.so doesn't link them. Of course
/usr/local/lib is in /etc/ld.so.conf. Even if I put /usr/local/mydir
in /etc/ld.so.conf the program doesn't run. ldconfig -v shows nothing
in /usr/local/lib.

Why doesn't it use the symlinks? LD_LIBRARY_PATH works but I'd like to
not depend on it...

Carlos