Partitions (was Re: Debian installation)

     The meaning of primary and extended partitions is the same in DOS
and Linux.  The maximum number of partitions on any drive is 4, of
which none or one may be extended and all others must be primary.  Any
number of virtual or logical partitions may be installed within the
extended partition.  Extended partitions have a type of 'extended'
because they do not contain a file system as such, but are a container
or wrapper for one or more logical partitions.  On my disk, I have an
extended partition that contains 8 virtual partitions - 3 DOS, 4 Linux
native and 1 Linux swap .

     In the partition table given below, /hda1, /hda2, and /hda3 are
primary partitions and /hda4 is an extended partition including
cylinders 1261 - 2484.  Cylinders 1261 - 1870 are used for logical
partition /hda5 and cylinders 1871 - 2484 are used for /hda6.  (Due to
a [bug|feature] of fdisk, the column 'Begin' is meaningless in drives
containing more than 1024 cylinders.)

      Partitioning concepts are discussed in some length in
/usr/doc/util-linux/README.fdisk.gz and briefly in Matt Walsh's
/usr/doc/HOWTO/Installation-HOWTO.gz.

Bob