Re: ls colors gone after upgrade

William Chow <williamc@uclink2.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Richard Jones wrote:
>

> > William Chow <williamc@uclink2.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> > > This IS the correct answer, WTF are you talking about? I've been using a
> > > similar alias in my startup scripts for months now.
> > >

> > How often do you use X? Your solution will work on the console, it will
> > even print bold characters for special files with Xterms, but it wont
> > do colour on my system.  The Xresource mentioned below needs to be set.
> >
> Yeah, but nowhere did you mention this in your reply. You should've said
> "this doesn't appear to work in my xterm... etc." not "ls color doesn't
> work."

Yes I didn't mention it because I was not the original poster, read the
attributions please.  Perhaps the original poster should have mentioned in
perhaps you should not have stated your fix worked in xterms.

> > As far as I know Michael is correct on this one, man ls will tell you how
> > to get ls to output the required terminal codes to send color, but you need
> > to setup xterm to be able to displace them.  BTW is "maybe your brain froze
> > over" really necessary? I know Michael was a little flamey on his reply, but
> > this seems a reaction to your orignal unwarranted, "Read the man page you
> > bloody fool", response.
>
> I didn't appreciate the attitude expressed in "this would be wonderful if
> it worked, etc. etc." when the person replied with the correct answer to
> the question. You  should've asked the right question, which is "ls color
> appears to work when I am in regular console mode, but not in my xterm,"
> or even better  "when in my  color-xterm." The reply to the former would
> mostly be "are you sure you're using a color xterm" the reply to the
> second would be "are you sure your  resources are set correctly?"

Once again I was not the original poster, the original poster asked:
"ls colors gone after upgrade. How can I get these back?"

Now you are correct it doesn't give much information, but nor does it say "I
can't get color ls to work on the console" as you assumed it did, but my
quarrel is not with the quality of your reply (if he was having console
problems it would have been perfect advice) it is with the general tone of the
original and subsequent replies on this thread.  They appear to me to be
likely to discourage people in asking for help when they need it.

Richard Jones