lprng still disasterous

I thought perhaps my lprng problems might be helped if the server
ran lprng too. So I installed it on there, and it works great;
an lp queue (raw) and a ps queue (runs ghostscript), no magicfilter
as yet. But now I can't print a damn thing from the remote machine;
lpq on the server just says "ERROR: cannot open '/var/spool/lpd/lp/...' - 'No
such file or directory' always, using any queue.

Hamish