Re: Upgrading by shaky ftp..

>> > How will dselect react to the PPP-link going down while upgrading by ftp?
>>
>> > Sometimes I can be on for hours without problems, othertimes the
>> > connection drops every 5-15 minutes...
>> >
>> > Can I just reconnect and restart dselect Install/Upgrade and it will
>> > resume with regetting the last (incomplete) .deb file?
>>
>> I've had success with this only because I have a static IP address with my
>> ISP.  If you are running PPP with dynamic addressing, then I think you can
>> forget it....
>>
>> Later,
>>
>> Kevin Traas
>> Systems Analyst
>> Edmondson Roper Chartered Accountants
>> http://users.uniserve.com/~erca
>> Chilliwack, B.C.
>> Pager: (604) 918-2054
>> Office: (604) 792-1915

If I remember correctly, my FTP went down a couple of times during dselect.  I got the connection back
relativly quickly, but sometimes with a new address.  I don't think the FTP part of dselect  will
continue in the middle of a file transfer, but dselect as a whole will pick up on incomplete files and
finish them off.  You might have to exit and rerun dselect, however.  Take this with a grain of salt, as
my link has been pretty stable lately.

>> --

"Time is the best teacher, unfortunately it kills all of it's students"

Rob MacWilliams   robmacw@cl-sys.com
N9NPU