Re: How do access hda, fd0, etc. ?

On Tue, 14 Jan 1997 woodja@juno.com wrote:

> In Debian linux, I have certian files that I down-loaded via. a terminal
> emulator in dos, and it is on my dos partition, which is hda.  How do I
> access this drive and my flopply drive fd0 in linux?

to access dos partitions, you need to make sure you have module for dos
filesystem installed (use modconf).  Then, as root, type "mount /dev/hda?
/mnt -t msdos" where ? is the number the dos partition, and /mnt is any
empty directory that you want to use as a mount point.  You can also edit
your /etc/fstab file to make the dos partition mounted every time you boot
up automatically.
Floppies are mounted pretty much the same way (just replace /dev/hda by
/dev/fd0), but I would recommend installing mtools.  With mtools, you
don't have to mount the floppy rather just type the dos commands preceded
by "m" (like mtools, mdir, etc.)

> Also how to I get back to the program that ran initially[first boot off
> the boot-floppy that was created], which asked what packages [ie.
> x-windows, comm programs etc] I wanted to install.  I have since
> downloaded some of these packages and have searched everywere for that
> nice colorful installation program on linux.
>
> Thanks.

That would be dselect, right?

__
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman                                             igor@vaca.net