Re: A proposal to improve dselect

On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Chow Chi-Ming wrote:

> Then I don't think it can be considered a bug per se.  If XF86Setup is

Neither do I.

> not on your system, you are not expected to run it.  You must come
> across XF86Setup from some other documents and from the same source

Yes, but as a totally new user, how am I expected to know.
I propose any of the following solutions:
  1) Put some notice in the installation process, making the user
     aware that he/she *must* install vga16 if he/she is a newbie.
     Maybe in the configuration script (sorry, but if you wish to
     configure this you need to install vga16).
  2) Create some sort of dependencies to force the inexperienced
     user to install vga16.
  3) Run xf86config instead of XF86Setup during configuration,
     if the XF86Setup isn't available. There should also be a notice
     like "you'll get a much nicer graphical setup if you install vga16".

> serious one.  How would you know that you can use XF86Setup and that
> vga16 has to be installed without consulting docs.  The same applies

No, this is wrong. A new user should not have to read long documents prior
to installation. The configure scripts which runs directly after the
installation should make reading docs unnecessary.

My totally-newbie friends were both given rex of my HD. They both called
me after installation and asked how to get X started. Neither had
configured X in any way. How are they supposed to know?
The post-install configure script should take care of it.

> What we can do, I think, in Debian is that in each of the post-install
> scripts of xservers (except vga16 obviously), check the existance of
> XF86Setup.  If it is not found, offer an option to users to install
> vga16 and get the nice XF86Setup ``or'' start xf86config if the user

A very good idea! But it the user hasn't got XF86Setup he should be told
so, and told what it is and how to install it.

  // Jonas <job@abc.se> [2:201/262.37]