Re: A proposal to improve dselect

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> Dale writes:
> > I'm not an expert on dselect. I use dpkg almost exclusively to do my
> > incremental upgrades. I don't know if there is such a key, or not, but
> > it's clear it isn't documented very well if there is one. If there isn't
> > the bug is in the software instead of the docs (or including the docs).
>
> Yell at me for saying this if you will, but what docs? I'm sure they
> exist, but I've never read them. Installation, through dselect,
> should be simple enough that you do not need documentation
> to do it. I think the installation documentation that exists
> is fair enough and required (I admit I read it, disregarded the advice
> regarding switching off APM, and promptly had to start over :-),
> but dselect, imho, needs to be intuitive enough for documentation
> to be unrequired. I never opened the Windows95 manual, nor
> any documentation on Slackware's pkgtool, if indeed there is any ...

You are certainly correct about the sparce nature of the current
documentation. As I am not well versed in the product, and have a full
plate, I'm not the one to do this. The problem is, there isn't anyone in a
position to do something about it.
Anyone who is interested in contributing to the project, but doesn't think
they are enough of a programmer to do anything useful, can provide great
help for new users by studying dselect and producing a users document from
what they learn.

Luck,

Dwarf