Re: [1.2 installation]: how to tell X to follow swapping of control and caps lock from loadkeys

"Daniel S. Barclay" <daniel@compass-da.com> writes:

> > From: Steve Dunham <dunham@dunham.tcimet.net>

> > I just read the config files and man XF86Config.  Add the following
> > to the Keyboard section of XF86Config:
> >
> >     XkbRules "xfree86"
> >     XkbModel "microsoft"
> >     XkbLayout "us"
> >     XkbOptions "ctrl:swapcaps"
> >
> > If you want the control keys _and_ caps lock to both do control, use
> > "ctrl:nocaps". All possible values for the above are listed in
> >     /usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86
> >
> > This is the "proper" way to fix the control keys with XFree 3.2.
>
> Where's the documentation on that?  It seems to be hiding pretty well here
> on my system.  E.g., the XF86Config man page doesn't seem to say what options
> can go in the options after "XbdOptions".

> Also, why do you suggest "microsoft"?  (How do I see what all that would get
> me?)

Actually, it might be a bad idea (if you don't have a Natural
keyboard).  I left it in because it seemed to be the default anyways,
but it turns the "alt" key into "Alt" which may be undesired.  Use

   XkbModel "pc101"

As I said before, these are listed in

  /usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/rules/xfree86

I figured it out by reading the XF86Config man page and all the
keyboard description files, and working backwards.  Perhaps I should
put a mini-HOWTO on my todo list...

Steve
dunham@gdl.msu.edu