Re: DEBIAN 1.2 DISKETTE PROBLEMS UPDATE

Kendrick Myatt wrote:
> At 07:15 PM 1/5/97 -0600, Guy Maor wrote:
> >No, dselect's ftp method, dpkg-ftp, uses perl's Net::FTP to do ftp
> >(the protocol).  It does not require ftp (the client).  Use dselect to
> >get netstd and you'll have ftp (the client).
> #################
>         It may have gotten lost when the list went down last week, but I
> posted about the dselect pseudo-ftp not working either.  So since I have no
> ftp binary, or way to get the netstd package, I am still out of luck.
>         When I run dselect and attempt to connect this is what I get...
> > >Using FTP to check directories...(stop with ^C)
> > >
> > >Connecting to ftp.debian.org...
> > >Net::FTP: Bad hostname 'ftp.debian.org' at /usr/lib/perl5/Net/FTP.pm
> > >line 405
> > >FTP ERROR
>         Someone from this list forwarded me this, and it is the EXACT same
> thing that happens to me.  I tried it with that host, other hosts, etc.. no
> good.  It bombs out just like that :(

Speaking as a Perl programmer who uses Net::FTP regularly, the only reason for that
error is an inablity to resolve that hostname. This has two sources:

1. DNS/NIS/whatever you're using to resolve addresses isn't set up.

2. You're box is behind a firewall.  Net::FTP can deal with some firewalls (not sure if
it supports SOCKS).  If you have a firewall, set FTP_FIREWALL=<host> from your shell
before using Net::FTP (in dselect or wherever)

Hope this helps

Stephen
---
"Normality is a statistical illusion." -- me