Re: DEBIAN 1.2 DISKETTE PROBLEMS UPDATE

At 10:25 AM 1/6/97 -0500, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>Well, you are partially correct. There is no ftp client on the base disks.
>However, dpkg-ftp IS provided on the base system and dselect's ftp method
>should work.
################
        It does not.  This is what I get when I try and run dselect with the
FTP access method:

> >Connecting to ftp.debian.org...
> >Net::FTP: Bad hostname 'ftp.debian.org' at /usr/lib/perl5/Net/FTP.pm
> >line 405
> >FTP ERROR

>I am looking into the problem more, to see if at least ftp and telnet can
>be added.
#####################
        Either that or make dpkg-ftp work :)  After receiving a flood of
email from people on the list I understand how it's supposed to work, why it
is that way, but not why it's not working for me.  I like the idea of having
very small of boot disks for an install.. that is one of the things that
attracted me to Debian in the first place.

>> Nobody understands what the problem is because everybody upgraded from a
>> previous version, so they already had all the files they needed.
>>
>Truely this is a fresh installation problem only. Upgrades will have no
>problems with this issue.
        So i discovered :)  It seems that everyone except 2 people upgraded :)

>I didn't see any of this until I had already uploaded the 1997-01-06 disk
>set. It DOES have dpkg-ftp on it, but not netstd (with ftp and telnet).
>Something should be resolved for this by 1.2.2.

Regards,

Kendrick