Re: modules and module dependency information

    Jens> David B. Teague wrote:
    >>  Hi ...
    >>
    >> I have asked individuals this question and I have posted it,
    >> with RTFM as the answer. Polite answers, but ... I have done
    >> the RTFM on all module issues: insmod, modprobe, modules,...
    >>
    >> The Problem: On my home machine, deb 1.1, 486-66, scsi hd and
    >> cd rom, 16 mb vlbus, I'm having trouble with getting the
    >> modules for scsi cdrom, serial, and lp, to load at boot
    >> time. They load fine with insmod, and I can use the devices.
    >>
    >> Please tell me what to put into the module dependency to make
    >> them load, and tell me where the kernel module facility expects
    >> to find it (/etc/module ? )OR tell me how to find out what is
    >> needed.
    >>
    >> David

    Jens> Edit the file /etc/modules and put in a line with the word
    Jens> 'isofs' to cause the modules which supports the CDROM
    Jens> filesystem to be loaded.  You'll also need the module which
    Jens> supports the CDROM physical device as well. If you use and
    Jens> ATAPI (IDE) CDROM this device is probably already loaded. I
    Jens> honestly don't know what the module name is because I have
    Jens> it compiled into my kernel. Maybe someone else knows.

 I found that I had to add/change some dependancy lines in
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep to make kerneld load some thing
properly.  Apparently, 'depmod -a' does not build the file correctly
--- in particular, the scsi stuff is screwed up.

 Here's the changes I make:
8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8
11c11
< /lib/modules/2.0.27/fs/isofs.o:
---
> /lib/modules/2.0.27/fs/isofs.o:       /lib/modules/2.0.27/scsi/sr_mod.o
53c53
< /lib/modules/2.0.27/scsi/ppa.o:       /lib/modules/2.0.27/scsi/scsi_mod.o
---
> /lib/modules/2.0.27/scsi/ppa.o:       /lib/modules/2.0.27/scsi/sd_mod.o
8<----------------------------------------------------------------->8
... with those edits, I am able to go 'mount /zip' or 'mount /cdrom'
(with the proper /etc/fstab entries in place, of course), and the
driver modules will auto-load now.  All I have in /etc/modules is
"auto".

 Hope this helps!

(semi auto-retorical...  Q: Who maintains the 'depmod' program?  Can
he fix this for us?)

--
   __ _                    Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@inetarena.com>
  / /(_)_ __  _   ___  __  http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg