Re: cron's insistence on dselect mail stuff

On Tue, 07 Jan 1997 22:24:58 EST "Daniel S. Barclay"
(daniel@compass-da.com) wrote:

> > From: Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>
>
> > On Mon, 06 Jan 1997 11:51:34 EST JD Thomlinson (jthom@synet.net)
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Just a question -
> > > Will cron ever relent without being forced?
> > > IMHO, cron really doesn't require, recommend or suggest,
> > > it demands!
> >
> > No, it recommends. It means that the package can run without a MTA, ...
>

> What JD meant is that every time you run dselect, cron _again_ recommends
> a mail again.  It's a pain in the butt.  I declined once; why did I keep
> having to say no to that choice every time I install something completely
> unrelated?
>
> Probably dselect should show recommendations only when the user changes the
> status (selected vs. non-selected, etc.) of one of the packages involved
> in the recommendation.

There are three levels of ``dependency'' in dpkg/dselect:
1) Depends: won't install without the depended packages.
2) Recommends: will install without the recommended packages, but dselect will warn you every time.
3) Suggests: will install without the suggestes packages, dselect will only warn once.
Levels 2 and 3 are ignored by dpkg while level 1 is enforced by dpkg.

Phil.