Re: Install problems - InfoMagic LDR

    Brian> My interest is using Linux as a mail gateway for a
    Brian> Win95/Win3.11 LAN.  The setup would be like this.

    Brian> 1. The Linux PC would dial into local ISP. Get each users
    Brian> mail from the local ISP. e.g. user1@my.isp.net,
    Brian> user2@my.isp.net etc.  I presume the mail gateway software
    Brian> can read a userlist file ??

    Brian> 2. Each PC user would then check the Linux mail server by
    Brian> using a Windows based mail package (e.g. Eudora) or telnet
    Brian> to the Linux PC and use Unix Mail command from a login
    Brian> shell.

    Brian> Is it possible.

Certainly.

    Brian> What packages would you recommend for 1.  mail gateway
    Brian> software (e.g. fetchmail,sendmail etc) 2.  to make the dial
    Brian> up connection (ISP would allocate IP on login)

For 2., the latest ppp package should be just what you need.  It
contains the ppp daemon (pppd) and some useful scripts for connecting
and disconnecting (pon, poff, plog).

For 1., I personally would not recommend fetchmail.  On my system at
least, it seems to have trouble communicating properly with the POP3
server at my ISP.  I would recommend 'popclient', which used to be in
the 'netstd' package.  As of 1.2, however, I believe you have to look
for it elsewhere.  Also, if you want to use it, you can't have
fetchmail installed, because the fetchmail package contains a
'popclient' which is actually a symbolic link to 'fetchmail'.

As to whether popclient (and fetchmail, for that matter) can read a
user list, automating them to retrieve mail for any number of users
with a shell script run by 'cron' is trivial.

Good luck, sounds like you're off to a good start.  The next step is
to convince your Winblows users that they'd be better off running
Linux as well...

--
Nathan L. Cutler
Linux Enthusiast