installing metamail with emacs19.34.1

I installed the metamail package and followed the directions in
/usr/doc/metamail/mailers.txt.gz to make my emacs (rmail) mime aware.
It seems to work, though I haven't looked at many types of files.
The only correction I wanted to make is that we don't have to have
"transparent.el" around and the stuff to include in the rmail.el file
should have the
(require 'transparent)
line removed.  The code works fine with out of the box Debian 1.2
emacs19.34.1 but the transparent.el that I pulled off the net did not.

By the way, is there a way to split the files included in a mail
message back into separate files?

Thanks,
Nathan