ping reply without OS (was: Re: Unidentified subject!)

> > ping response can be handled by network hardware without OS running.
>
> Uhhmmm... hadn't heard of this ever before. To reply to a ping request
> the network card has to have an assigned IP address...
>
> --
>
> Eloy A. Paris
> Information Technology Department
> Rockwell Automation de Venezuela
> Telephone: +58-2-9432311 Fax: +58-2-9430323

Yes, but I've seen it quite often. The symptoms are you can't connect with
anything, rlogin, telnet or such programs; however the machine gladly replies
to ping.

I think the situation arises when an OS _has_ been running on the machine
and then crashes or hangs; in this state the ethernet card has been assigned
an IP address, and then it just answers any ping requests that comes its way,
without any intervention of the OS.

ping 127.0.0.1,

							MartinS