Re: Install questions

Terrence M. Brannon wrote:

> - install MBR on /dev/hda
>     - how do I uninstall it so I can load DOS again?

Don't do this. Just use lilo so you can boot dos or Linux.

>     - how do I allow DOS to be booted from a LILO prompt?

If your dos partition is the first partition of your first HD (IDE)
you could add the following lines to the end of your /etc/lilo.conf
file:

other = /dev/hda1
  table = /dev/hda
  label = dos

You would want to make sure that you had a reasonable timeout or
a prompt from lilo. Timeout's for lilo are in 10ths of a second.

As you can see there are a few things you'll want to know about
lilo before you start messing around. Look at the documentation
found by doing:

  zless /usr/doc/lilo/Manual.txt.gz

Then you can change your /etc/lilo.conf file to your liking and
afterwards don't forget to run /sbin/lilo to put the changes
into effect.

> - dselect
>     - can only search for package names, not sections.
>         - suggestion: allow search for sections
>     - vicious circle
>         - libc5-dev, libnet, libc5
>             - recommends all be installed, so I hit return
>             - but I don't get back to package selection, I am given
>             given the conflict resolution info
>             - I hit space, then return. same cycle over and over
>             - so I remove libc5-dev and hit Q
>     - kinda slow: any way for it to omit all of the
>     "Skipping deselected package " cmds?

I'll leave these questions to those deep in the knowledge of the
inner workings of dselect/dpkg.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com