PPP Dial up help

Ok Mr Newbie here again. I have been trying to get Debian to connect to my
local ISP threw an external modem. When I issue the PON command it dials
the connection fine, the modems connect, but then the line drops. The PLOG
stated that I was dropped by the peer.
I know I have to make a config change someplace. I know my local IP assigns
a IP address to me each time I call, Where in Debian do I configure this,
in the options file??? If so what do I need to change to make both systems
stay connected and happy.

Eddie