Re: hda3 won't mount as root - ok on /mnt - ??? HELP!

> Ouch! Still same problem.
>
> Tried to upgrade from 1.1 to 1.2 (selecting multiple items in
> deselect). The install bombed, kernel panic, (probably disk space?).
> I had to use the reset switch. Now no boot. The partition containing
> only /var (with deb files of course) was corrupted. All other partitions
> checked out ok.
>
> When trying to boot, lilo loads the kernel ok. Kernel does initial
> checks. The console displays "VFS: mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
> readonly", then nothing. Keystrokes are echoed to screen, but init
> never starts. CtlAltDel works to reboot to the same thing.
>
> Booting from floppy I can mount hda3 (my root) on /mnt. Yes, I
> e2fsck'ed it, and it passes. Re-ran lilo (ROOT=/mnt /mnt/sbin/lilo),
> went ok, but still no hda3 mount as root.

I don't get it. You are saying that
  mount -t ext2 /dev/hda3 /mnt
works, but
  mount -t ext2 /dev/hda3 /
doesn't?

If that really is the case, just do
  mount -t ext /dev/hda3 /mnt
  cd /mnt; chroot . ./bin/bash
and your /mnt will be "/" for the process you just started. Then you can continue
just like you'd otherwise do if the mount on / did go ok.

But really, it all seems somewhat strange to me,

--
joost witteveen
            joost@rulcmc.leidenuniv.nl