Odd Mail Configuration

Greetings.
I am attempting something rather odd -- I don't know if it is feasible.

I am a cable modem user with @home and I have an IP of [not my real IP]
123.456.789.0 . I have registered this IP as purplepullovers.ml.org with
ml.org. The DNS resolves this right. I said, hey -- I want a new email
address... how about barney@purplepullovers.ml.org?!?
So I set up smail and the what not, and have set my mail address as
thus.

I have now managed to get hotmail to send a message to my address but
for me to reply to it, I get a message saying:
taylorsingletary@hotmail.com -- User Unknown.

Any help?