Re: SLRN problem

On Mon, Dec 29, 1997 at 07:52:21PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Pann McCuaig wrote:
> > When I invoke 'slrn --spool' I have no newsgroups listed. I'm sure it's
> > something simple but I'm missing it.
>
> This is becoming a FAQ. :-)
>
> README.slrnpull.gz
>
> Read this file. Specifically:
>
> Setting up a minimal .slrnrc file.

By the time you sent this I had added this file to my list of RTFMs.
And although my .slrnrc file wasn't the "minimal" one listed, it did
indeed include all the lines you (and the README) show.

I had also made a little progress. For some reason, after I run
'slrnpull --expire' I then get a list of newsgroups (with article counts)
when I invoke 'slrn --spool', but if I try to read an article I'm told
that there are "no unread articles", and if I try using 'ESC - u' to tell
the reader that I wanna read 'em anyway, it accepts the command, confirms
that I want to mark the group unread, and still responds with "no unread
articles" if I try to enter the group.

BTW, after receiving your response, I tried the minimal .slrnrc approach,
and there is no change.

I'm thinking permissions, or ownership, or something like that.

slrnpull is run out of ip-up, and this is a result of modifications to
ip-up made by configuring slrn as part of the installation process.

ip-up gets run when the PPP link is established as a result of me (pann,
not root) running pon.

Any ideas, or any more information I can provide? TIA

Cheers,
 Pann