Re: bo to hamm upgrade

Scott K. Ellis wrote:
> Neither.  If you remove libc5, you will break your system and have to
> reinstall completely.  I repeat, DO NOT FORCE THE REMOVAL OF LIBC5 UNDER
> ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

   Well, although nearly fatal, I didn't have to do a complete
reinstall.  I did go ahead and remove libc5 and was surprised at how
many things it broke.  It broke things "real good."  :-)  Since I did
have a spare partition on this machine I went ahead and used an old copy
of Debian 1.2 and installed the 6-disk base system on it, then booted
from that, mounted my normal root partition (after fsck'ing it, of
course), and copied over libc5 to my normal partition.  That allowed me
to boot from my normal root partition where I reinstalled the libc5*.deb
and thanked God for looking out for fools like me.

> Either downgrade to the earlier version of libc5 I list at the end of the
> howto, or upgrade both libc5 and libc6 from hamm on the same dpkg command line.

   I wound up doing the downgrade and then installing libc6.  Worked
like a charm -- the new dpkg is happily downloading hamm files right
now.

   Thanks much for the info Scott...

--
 Regards,                 | Debian GNU/ __      o