Re: new release of debian?

George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org> wrote:

: I think it was said that the new release will not be ready till sometime
: in late January or possibly later. Since they are going to a new libc, all
: packages have to be recompiled and some have a few bugs that have popped
: up with the new libc.  I think Debian is doing the right thing in not
: rushing it and repeating Red Hat's mistake of rushing a half-baked
: distribution out the door.

I agree. This way Debian will keep its high quality, something that
differentiates Debian from other distributions.

Two of the packages I maintain (ncpfs and smbfs) have severe bugs in
RedHat's port to libc6. The only explanation I can think of is that
they rushed the release of the new version and they did not test at
all. I am glad Debian is not doing that :-)

E.-

--

Eloy A. Paris
Information Technology Department